OKC Zoo Volunteer Diving Program
Looking for a unique diving environment in OKC? Come make a splash at the Zoo! The OKC Zoo is seeking volunteer divers to assist with maintenance of our aquariums and pools.
- Duties may include cleaning acrylic panels, glass, cleaning and maintenance of artificial rockwork and corals.
- Divers must commit to complete at least 1 scheduled dive each month. The dives may vary in length from 1 – 3 hours each.
- All dives will be conducted in teams of 4 people.
- These volunteers will have opportunities to dive in a variety of exhibits, such marine and freshwater aquariums, and pools for seals, sea lions, bears, and elephants.
- Divers will not be in contact with animals.
- The Zoo provides all equipment for dives.
Basic Requirements for Scuba Diving Volunteers
- Be Open Water Diver certified (PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc) or better;
- Be age 18 or older;
- Provide evidence of completing a diving medical examination within the past two years. Proof of such examination can come from a signed entry in your dive log or by providing a copy of the actual exam by your physician;
- If you have not completed a diving medical examination within the past two years, you must obtain one at your expense. Please take a completed copy of the Zoo’s “Diving Medical History Form” and the Zoo’s “Medical Evaluation of Fitness for SCUBA Diving Report”
- The “Dive Requirements for Physician” form at the back of this pamphlet might be helpful for your personal physician so that he/she can know a little about our specific diving environment.
- Must have completed at least 15 open water dives of at least 25 feet as evidenced by log book and/or dive computer;
- Must be active divers, having dove within the last 12 months (this will include ZOO diving activity for divers in the program);
- Must be currently certified in First Aid and Adult CPR;
Applicants should attend a volunteer orientation/recruitment session on February 2, May 18, or a session in August or October to complete an application and receive an interview. The applicants will be required to submit to a background check, drug screening, and Tuberculosis (TB) test before beginning the dive program.
For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at (405) 425-0275 or email@example.com.